An unlicensed restaurant that allegedly sickened its customers has agreed to shut down and pay a fine of more than $100,000, the Yolo County district attorney’s office announced Monday.
Anna’s Kitchen delivered Chinese food, primarily to Chinese students at the University of California, Davis.
After “multiple complaints” from UC students who had become ill after eating Anna’s Kitchen food, Yolo County health inspectors investigated the business and its owner, Xin Jiang.
“The investigation revealed that Mr. Jiang did not have a permit to operate a food facility in Yolo County, and had repeatedly delivered hundreds of meals that had not been kept properly hot or cold for extended periods of time,” the district attorney’s press release said. Such lapses increase the risk of food poisoning
Under a settlement approved last month, Jiang is to pay $106,997 in costs and penalties. An additional penalty of $90,000 will be imposed if he is discovered to be operating any food service without a valid permit.
Jiang had advertised his business on WeChat, a messaging and social media app with more than a billion users, most of them Chinese.
Any former customer who has a balance on an Anna’s Kitchen “VIP card” can get a cash refund or credit at Hunan Bar & Restaurant in Davis, the district attorney’s office said.
0,000 fine for restaurant accused of poisoning UC Davis students