Boy with severe epilepsy is still being denied medical cannabis on the NHS

A BOY with severe epilepsy is still being denied access to medicinal cannabis on the NHS.

Mum Charlotte Caldwell, 51, says she is terrified her son Billy, 13, will die if he does not get a new prescription when his supply runs out in ten days.

Charlotte Caldwell is terrified her son Billy will die if he does not get a new prescription
Jeremy Young – The Sunday Times

Charlotte Caldwell is terrified her son Billy will die if he does not get a new prescription[/caption]

The campaigner, from Castlederg, in Northern Ireland, won her bid to change the law last year.

It allowed doctors to prescribe the drug on the NHS in limited circumstances when other treatments have failed.

But she has to pay £1,500 privately after the NHS in Belfast refused to fund it and her supply is running out.

Charlotte says she was forced to seek a second opinion from London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Billy had a consultation at GOSH at the end of last month with epilepsy specialist Prof Helen Cross, who believes he should continue on the treatment.

But Charlotte says the NHS trust in Belfast is still refusing to fund it.


It means she only has days to raise more money for his next private prescription.

She said: “We successfully fought for a change in the law but it feels like we’re back to square one.”

A Department of Health spokesman aid: “Provision of medicinal cannabis will be based on the decisions of health service clinicians.”

The campaigner won her bid to change the law last year
Reuters

The campaigner won her bid to change the law last year[/caption]

But Charlotte is still having to pay £1,500 privately after the NHS in Belfast refused to fund it
Getty Images – Getty

But Charlotte is still having to pay £1,500 privately after the NHS in Belfast refused to fund it[/caption]



 

Source: thesun
Boy with severe epilepsy is still being denied medical cannabis on the NHS