Diner put in coma and left paralysed from the neck down after eating under-cooked chicken

A DINER was left paralysed from the neck down after eating under-cooked chicken.

Mild food poisoning triggered a rare reaction in Richard Jackson where his immune system attacked his spine.

Richard Jackson was left paralysed after a rare reaction from eating under-cooked chicken
Hyde News & Pictures Ltd

Richard Jackson was left paralysed after a rare reaction from eating under-cooked chicken[/caption]

He was taken to hospital before being put in a coma for ten days.

IT analyst Richard, 39, of Brighton, said: “I was delirious and drifting in and out of consciousness.

“At this point the doctors did not know what was happening but they knew they had to do something quickly.

“I was moved into intensive care, placed on a ventilator and effectively switched off in a coma for 10 days to give myself the best chance of survival.


“On waking me up I showed signs of movement in my arms and feet. I was weaned off the ventilator and feeding tubes. I had wasted significantly and lost all strength in my core.”

IT analyst Richard, 39, of Brighton, is now raising funds for a neuro rehab centre where he spent two months recovering.

He said: “In just under two months they taught me to sit, eat, speak clearly, transfer to wheelchairs by myself, stand brushing my teeth, get into cars from a wheelchair and greatest of all, to be able to walk again.”

Richard spent two months recovering in a neuro rehab centre
Hyde News & Pictures Ltd

Richard spent two months recovering in a neuro rehab centre[/caption]



 

Source: thesun
Diner put in coma and left paralysed from the neck down after eating under-cooked chicken